Prepare your property by making sure it appeals to a wider range of tenants.
Once you have decided to rent out your property, you may wish to consider giving it a fresh lick of paint, if you haven’t already done so. It is imperative that you make sure your property is clean, nicely decorated and all the appliances are in a working order. We, at April, believe that one should not rent out a property they themselves wouldn’t wish to live in.
You may wish to consider renting your property as a single-family dwelling or a house in multiple occupation (HMO). If you decide to let your property as a HMO, you will need to make sure that:
- Proper fire safety measures are in place, including working smoke alarms;
- Annual gas safety checks are carried out;
- Electrics are checked every 5 years;
- The property is not overcrowded;
- There are enough cooking and bathroom facilities for the number living there;
- Communal areas and shared facilities are clean and in good repair; and
- There are enough rubbish bins/bags.
Whichever option you decide to choose; you are required by law to provide an Energy Performance Certificate, register any deposit you receive from your tenant and provide a copy of the ‘How to Rent: the checklist for renting in England’
information booklet to your tenant.
Contact our lettings/property management team on 020 8257 2100 for information and guidance, as well as to find out about the full spectrum of services we provide to our existing and prospective Landlords.
Management of your property for you:
If you are busy, live abroad or simply wish a reliable agent to manage your property for you, April’s very own property management team are at your service!
Upon receiving your formal instructions, we will do the following:
- Prepare the property, which includes decorating and furnishing it if necessary, for renting it out in order to make sure that it’s appealing and desirable to a wide range of potential tenants.
- When it is ready, we will instruct our professional photographers to take photographs of your property and prepare floor plans.
- We will then advertise your property on the most visited and popular property platforms in the UK and its details to our database of potential tenants.
- Once we receive applications from potential tenants, we will arrange and conduct viewings.
- Offers from potential tenants will then be evaluated and we will carry out a thorough referencing process to make sure that we select a tenant that can afford to rent your property and also to minimise any risk of missed rent payments in the future.
- The Contract will then be drafted, agreed and finalised, ready for being signed by both parties.
- Once the tenant moves into the property (and their new home), we will make sure to provide them with all the information they will require to help them settle in comfortably.
- Our property maintenance team will be on call 24/7 to ensure that any disrepair issues are dealt with swiftly and with minimal discomfort to the tenants, as we believe that everyone deserves a decent home.
- If thing do go wrong, however, we will make sure that all relevant legal notices are served in a timely manner and the due process is followed.
- In short, we will deal with all aspects of letting, maintaining and, if necessary, re-letting of your property. We will do our utmost best to ensure that you receive your rental income on time every time.